Society is in your hands, what are you waiting for?
We are currently looking for talented and motivated Principal Highways Engineers to join our teams across the UK.
Our highway engineering teams are recognised industry leaders and operate across several markets including strategic roads, local roads and private developments. We work for a range of clients include national government agencies, local authorities, developers and contractors. We use the latest design software and techniques to produce innovative and efficient design solutions for our clients.
What does the role involve?
Working as a Principal Engineer in the Highways team we'll offer you exposure to varied project work, both operating client side and in a design and build environment working on publicly funded and private developer projects.
You will undertake (engineering) design and development through the application of proven techniques and procedures to develop appropriate solutions to customer problems including:
- Undertaking and leading significant the detailed design; e.g. drawings, specifications, reports and calculations etc, to achieve the optimum solution for the project.
- Working in close collaboration with our team and other disciplines and having an appreciation of their role.
- Providing technical guidance and support to our colleagues and assist, where practicable, in mentoring and development.
- Ensuring deliverables are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Ensuring that solutions meet client needs and expectations are met/exceeded.
- Liaising with our clients and contractors and supervising works on site when required.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out to the Company’s IMS, and current H&S legislation requirements.
To be successful in this role you’ll possess:
- A relevant degree and have Chartered Status with a relevant professional institution.
- Significant experience in a comparable role.
- Demonstrable capability in the planning and delivery of minor highway projects or work packages on large projects.
- Experience of undertaking highway geometric design in accordance with the DMRB, and desirably Manual for Streets, using Bentley MX /OpenRoads or Civils 3D.
- Strong experience of CAD software packages (e.g. AutoCAD) and a sound understanding of their use in the design process for BIM.
- An excellent all round understanding of quality management systems and processes, financial project management systems, business and commercial issues.
- A sound understanding of road design to meet Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations and to ensure Safety by Design best practices are achieved.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be working for a top ten civil engineering firm (recognised by New Civil Engineer, (NCE). You’ll experience an inclusive, friendly and flexible working environment where colleagues are encouraged to grow and develop where support and back up are always available so you’re not alone. A meaningful job where you’ll help to transform society by being a trusted consultant to our clients with light touch process allowing you to focus on customers and delivery.
The opportunity to lead and make a difference, we believe leadership is about attitudes and behaviours, not seniority. You will have exposure to key customers both externally and within the business.
If you believe you have the skill set required, are keen to join a business with genuine opportunities for career progression, then we’d love to hear from you.
Let's transform society together at Sweco.com/careers
More about us …….
Approachable and committed people are the core of our business. Serving our clients in challenging projects is part of our daily work.
Sweco plans and designs the sustainable communities and cities of the future. Together with our clients and the collective knowledge of our 17,500 architects, engineers and other specialists, we co-create solutions to address urbanisation, capture the power of digitalisation, and make our societies more sustainable. Sweco is Europe’s leading engineering and architecture consultancy, with sales of approximately SEK 21 billion (EUR 2 billion). The company is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.swecogroup.com.